Meet the new counselor at McLean

Jenna Jablonski joins our student services staff this school year

Rebeka Rafi

New freshman and sophomore school counselor, Jenna Jablonski, smiles in front of her Inspiration Board. She is looking forward to a great school year at MHS.

Rebeka Rafi, Managing Editor & Advertising Manager

This year we have a new addition to our student services staff. With the large freshman class this year, this left an opening for a new counselor, which was filled by a new friendly face here at McLean.

Jenna Jablonski, counselor for freshman and sophomores with last names Ke-Mah, will start her first year here at McLean. Although she is new at MHS, she is no stranger to counseling within FCPS. 

“[I became] a high school counselor at Robinson Secondary School, which is where I have been for the last 6 years until I came here to McLean,” Jablonski said. 

With an undergraduate degree from Virginia Tech and a Master’s in School Counseling from George Mason, Jablonski is pretty familiar with the Northern Virginia area, but it will take some time to adjust to MHS. 

“I’m from the area which is really nice. I know my way around, but Mclean is really new to me,” Jablonski said. 

It can be difficult adjusting to a new environment, especially at a high school, but our welcoming staff and students have helped Jablonski with her transition from Robinson Secondary to MHS. 

“It’s hard to be new at a school and not know where to find everything, Jablonski said. “Everyone is so nice: the parents, the students, the teachers. It’s just been such a warm and welcoming experience.”

Jablonski can relate to students because she was unsure of what profession she wanted to pursue, but still was able to navigate through college. 

She debated between a few job options while growing up, but is very pleased with where she is now.

“I didn’t know what I wanted to be back in high school and even a little bit through college, but I think that’s why school counseling is the perfect profession for me once I landed into it,” Jablonski said. 

By experiencing this, she is able to give relatable advice to her students that may need some guidance on pursuing a profession that they are interested in. 

“I knew I wanted to do something in education and then not knowing what I wanted to do helps me help my students who aren’t really sure what they want to do too,” Jablonski said. 

It is clear that Jablonski values her job and enjoys the interactions she has with her students. 

“[My favorite part about my job is] working with students, and getting to know them,” Jablonski said. “Everyone has a story, so it’s really nice to get to know everyone’s stories and find out how to support them while going through high school.”

Overall, it looks like Jablonski is looking forward to a great year here at MHS. If you ever need a friendly face to talk to, stop by and say hi to Ms. Jablonski at student services!

“I’m just really excited to be here,” Jablonski said. “Everyone’s been so nice, and I’m just really excited to be a part of the community and get to know people and my students and families and help them out along the way.

Click the link below to see how well you know Ms. Jablonski!

https://typeform280018.typeform.com/to/XHZPhZ