You scream! I scream! We all scream for a frozen yogurt machine?!

New frozen yogurt machine creates buzz around McLean

Lima Mutahidy

Chillin’ in Line–Over a dozen McLean students waited to get Fro-yo from the new machine during D lunch. The wait was around 30 minutes for many in line, and not everyone was served.

Nicholas Lohman, News Editor

McLean’s exam season just became easier thanks to a new frozen yogurt machine that made an appearance outside the dance studio. You may have heard the buzz around the halls about this new icon which serves strawberry and vanilla frozen yogurt in regular and large sizes for four and six dollars respectively.

While it was operational during school hours on its opening day, April 22, the machine will only function before and after school due to county regulations.

The machine’s owner, who asked to be referred to as RJ, leads a private food company that installed the machine at McLean. The new installation is a fundraiser for school activities. Although present for the machine’s opening, RJ will not be at McLean every day.

“The school receives 15 percent of each purchase,” Director of Student Activities Greg Miller said. “McLean did not put any money towards the purchase of it.”

The partnership between the school and company was the brainchild of Miller and not only helps the school but feeds RJ’s business interests as well.

“We had been in the food business for a long time,” RJ said. “When this opportunity came up we just grabbed it and we realized that that’s the way to go.”

For those worried about the unhealthy consequences of the recent addition, RJ ensures that the business is dedicated to promoting healthy eating and touts the health benefits of frozen yogurt.

“It’s a healthy snack for the kids,” RJ said. “Our philosophy is healthy, quality, and fresh food and at an affordable price and that’s what our mantra has been; that’s how we’ve gone for the last few years.”

If you have additional questions about the new installation talk to Greg Miller in the Activities Office. Remember make sure to adhere to guidelines and use the machine responsibly.

“Make sure you follow the rules of the school and the county,” RJ said. “[The machine will stay] as long as the school wants it.”