Highlanders embrace new McLean memes page

@mclean_high_memes provides unique memes that resonate with the entire student body

A meme posted by the the @mclean_high_memes account about end of the quarter stress. (Photo courtesy of @mclean_high_memes Instagram)

Anya Chen & Sabrina Vazquez, A&E and Design Editor & Features Editor

The Mclean community has gotten a new source of entertainment recently in the form of a meme account on Instagram (@mclean_high_memes). The account owner, who prefers to remain anonymous, posts memes about various aspects of McLean culture such as teachers, overcrowded hallways and stress.

“I think the MHS meme page is a great source of entertainment,” senior Ayushman Ghosh said. “Whoever made it has brought together a lot of joy to the McLean community, as it provides students with content they can relate to and heavily enjoy.”

The account not only provides and sense of humor and entertainment, but also acts a way to unite the McLean community.

“I feel like the page brings other students together in a weird way and creates a sense of community between all MHS students because everyone can relate to it and laugh together,” senior Tala Soubra said.

Memes are not uncommon to find on social media, but the McLean meme account provides Highlanders with unique memes that specifically fit their own high school experience.

“I follow plenty of meme accounts and random funny videos or posts, but none is as personal to my own experience as this one,” senior Michelle Ugarte-Nunez said. “It’s just cool to look at and scroll through, and I quote some of the memes with my friends because they’re so recognizable.”

While the creator of this account is still unknown, they provide opportunities for fellow Highlanders to get involved in the meme making as well. Students can even submit their own meme ideas for a chance to be featured on the account.

“I submit my memes because I think it’s a great way to put them out there for others to see,” Ghosh said. “The MHS meme page is a great platform for me to show the McLean community my ideas, and I really appreciate the owner of the account giving me credit for the content I submit.”

These memes present something that McLean students can relate to, and unites the McLean community in a unique way through humor.

“I think the meme page has done a lot to help the students get closer to McLean. Whatever the meme page highlights through its content about the school, whether good or bad, it’s clear that students love it and can relate to it, and in a way I think that’s tightening the bond between McLean and its students,” Ghosh said. “I salute the creator of the meme page for this idea. Although I don’t know who it is, he/she has really made a positive impact on the MHS community.”