Multiplying knowledge through math

Freshman Paruav Kananur is not your average math student

STUDY HARD – Paurav does his review packet in order to study for his upcoming exam. He wants to get an A on the test. (Photo by Zach Hasan)

Zach Hasan, Reporter

The smell of pencil shavings fill the room. Looks of confusion are on all the kids faces as their pencils indent in the paper. Fear and anger are in the air as kids

take a test. Nerves are acting up for all these kids. But not for one kid.Paurav Kananur is just an average freshman at McLean. He walks to his classes, does his homework, and eats his lunch with his friends. But as soon as he sets his feet into the math classroom, he isn’t a normal student. Paurav is a mathematical genius.

Kananur wasn’t always as smart as he is now. It took years of math countless hours of math with his dad, on the internet, and in the school in order to be this smart.

Now Kananur is in AP Calculus BC. The highest course at McLean offered for Freshman is Algebra 2. Math is his favorite subject, and obviously his strongest subject. Kananur has done mathematical competitions like AMC 8, AMC 10, Math Olympiad, and Math Kangaroo. He wants to do more in the future.
Kananur looks to attend an Ivy League college in the future. He is not sure what he wants his career to be. “I like doing math, but I’m not sure I want it to be my profession,” he said.

Only time will tell whether Kananur enters a field of math. There is no wrong answer for Kananur.

“His love for math will always be in his heart, whether he chooses to apply it to his career or not,” said Jay Kananur, Father or Paurav.