How do Highlanders spend a snow day?

McLean students reveal their habits on a wintry day off

A street sign neighboring McLean endures the blizzard, effectively dispelling any question over school staying open.

Camille Blakemore, Reporter

Sparkling flakes of snow drift through the brisk air, blanketing yards and adorning eyelashes with the winter favorite- but most notably, covering roads, cars, buses, and other methods of transportation to schools. Even though Sunday, Jan. 13, wasn’t technically a snow day, being a part of the regularly-scheduled weekend, many students were grateful for the frigid weather.

Camille Blakemore
A nearby neighborhood lies blanketed in snow. It took two days of plowing before the streets were drivable.

One such beneficiary was sophomore Miyu Oe. 

Miyu Oe
Sophomore Miyu Oe built this snowman with her younger brother.

“I [played] outside with my little brother,” Oe said. She went on to describe the fun they had.

“We built snowmen and even a fort!” Oe said.

Some Highlanders’ activities may be described as more productive than others. While her peers frolicked in the wintry weather outside, sophomore Eliana Durkee was hard at work. 

“I did some cleaning and have been working on AP World and English,” Durkee said.

Eliana Durkee
Snow adorns a street in McLean’s jurisdiction.

Durkee also spent a portion of her day relaxing, working on her interests such as her passion for photography.

“I went outside and took some photos for my photography class, which were really pretty,” Durkee said.

Some of her activities were more frivolous, however such as sleeping in. She also braved the wintry weather. 

“I went to Starbucks with a friend.”

It truly reveals what McLean students will do for a salted caramel hot chocolate.

Junior Alexa Jordan also took advantage of the snow day to capture some photos, though her purpose was for pleasure rather than business. 

Alexa Jordan
A snow-covered lamppost brings into question whether the setting of this photo is McLean or Narnia.

She focused on snow adorning both natural and manmade elements alike. 

Alexa Jordan
The Jordan family puppy enjoys one of his first brushes with snow.

All in all, the sudden snowstorm gave students time to relax and a chance to shake up the normal.

“I was glad it snowed!” Durkee said.

“I’m [also] glad it’s a snow day tomorrow, because I have more time to do my homework and chill out.”