Girls basketball dominates Langley

McLean won in convincing fashion 61-44 on Friday night

(photo by Maren Kranking)

Rohan Mani, Online Sports Editor

The McLean and Langley varsity girl basketball teams met for the first time this season on Friday night in McLean.

McLean jumped out to a high scoring run in front of the packed gym, solidifying a 33-16 lead at the half. In the second half, both teams came out with a high tempo offense, specially McLean who hit three 3’s in a row to start the half.

“We were just having a lot of fun out there and playing as a team. It really just comes down to we all want to win and I think it shows it out there on the court,” guard Elizabeth Dufrane said. 

Langley were never able to match McLean’s stout defense and high scoring offense and by the 2nd quarter chants of “This is our house” were soundly heard throughout the gym. 

By the end of the game, McLean won convincingly with a strong second half to close out the game with a 61-44 scoreline. 

“I think our team gelled really well to pull out a win. The hard work in practice and throughout the season really paid off, ” forward Maggie Campion said. 

Fellow teammate and guard Tess Ginsberg echoed similar sentiments about how team bonding and hard work during practice enabled a hard-fought victory.

“I just think that we won because we have just been doing team bonding and getting to know our teammates on and off the court. All the scrimmaging we do during practice also helps us work well together during games,” Ginsberg said.

The hard-fought win resulted in McLean obtaining an impressive to 10 wins – 3 losses for the season. The team looks to continue their three-game win streak versus Lee High School at home on January 14th.