McLean music department spreads holiday cheer with winter concert

Back to Article
Back to Article

Abigale Hobbs performs

Abigale Hobbs performs "Sunny Side of the Street" alongside the McLean jazz band. (Photo by Anya Chen)

Anya Chen & Sabrina Vazquez, A&E and Design Editor & Features Editor

The McLean music department embraced the holiday cheer by performing their annual holiday concert last Friday. The concert featured the jazz band, orchestra and chorus, who performed a variety of holiday songs to get students in the spirit.

“We have [the concert] every year,” said senior Mara Kessler, lead trumpet for the jazz band.  “It’s always nice because students in the school that don’t normally get to hear us get to hear us.”

The stage was adorned with rainbow Christmas lights, and the performers were all very festive as well, decked out in black, red and white, with some even wearing santa hats. The concert began with the jazz band, who had been practicing hard to put on this concert.

“We’ve been practicing since early November,” Kessler said. “We practiced on Tuesdays and Thursdays, two hours each time. We have half an hour sectionals as well.”

Following the jazz band was the chorus, serenading the audience with nostalgic holiday classics such as “Deck the Halls” and “Jingle Bells.”

Afterwards, the jazz band returned with their lead vocalist, senior Abigale Hobbs, to perform “Sunny Side of the Street.” Hobbs’ voice immersed the audience in uplifting, soothing vibes, and was accompanied by several impressive trumpet and saxophone solos throughout.

The McLean Madrigals took to the stage next to perform “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” from The Nutcracker and “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,” and also stunned audiences with a Christmas medley which included songs such as “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” among others.

The Mclean orchestra also played Christmas classics like “Silver Bells,” “Carol of the Bells,” “Silent Night” and “Sleigh Bells.” The orchestra’s performance was fun and interactive, and even encouraged the whole audience to clap along during their last song. They finished their performance with one final show stopping clap done by a giant red human-sized clapper.

The concert concluded with Hobbs returning to sing “Man with the Bag” alongside the jazz band.

“[The concert] was entertaining, the music was good,” senior Chris Ertman said. “I liked the last jazz performance because it had a little bit of vocals, but also had some good solos. It’s just all very put together.”

The concert was not only a great time for the audience, but also for the performers, who enjoyed being able to perform for their classmates.  

“They don’t usually get to hear it,” Hobbs said. “It’s always more fun to play for our friends.”