The resurgence of Derrick Rose

Former MVP Derrick Rose finds success once more after ACL injury in 2012

Back to Article
Back to Article

The resurgence of Derrick Rose

Derrick Rose in a Wizards v/s Bulls game 02/28/11, via Photo obtained via KeithAllisonPhoto.com on Flickr under a Creative Commons license

Eren Parla, Online News Editor

Ever since his terrible ACL injury in 2012, many presumed that Derrick Rose’s career was over for good; and for the years following his injury he struggled mightily as a shadow of his past self.

Being reliant on his incredible athleticism to succeed, this injury (caused by his poor landing technique after jumping) was a huge setback for Rose’s game, and he has ben hopping  from team to team ever since.

Rose was not permanently on any team for a long time, and at one point it got so bad that Derrick Rose was released by the Utah Jazz after being traded there from Cleveland, and after that was only given a short term contract by the Minnesota Timberwolves, which he still plays for today.

It was with this team that he had a resurgence in his game this season, as he is averaging a significantly improved 19.3 points, 4.4 assists and 3.1 rebounds per game, per NBA.com.

Many of McLean’s NBA fans are happy to see the revival of Rose’s basketball capabilities.

“He looks like a new person out there,” Junior Naod Hadgu said.

Not only has his revived game been monumental for Rose himself, but it’s brought more attention to the Minnesota Timberwolves franchise as well.

“I never thought I’d care about the Timberwolves,” sophomore Ahmed Yassir said. “But now I’m actually going to watch their games.”

Most fans consider Rose’s 50 point performance as the day he revived his career, and the day of that performance on Oct. 31st, and Rose has followed it up with many 20 or 30 point games.

“The day of that 50-point game, it felt like it wasn’t just me but the whole world that was rejoicing,” Yassir said. “It’s so heartwarming and entertaining to see his new play style succeed.”