Highlanders share their Thanksgiving traditions

Image+obtained+via+a+Creative+Commons+license.+

Image obtained via a Creative Commons license.

Sabrina Vazquez, Features Editor

As Thanksgiving rolls around again McLean students shared how they celebrate the holiday. Food, a central part to most Thanksgiving celebrations, is the basis for some traditions.

“We have an absurd amount of food on the table, so we all decide which food each one of us is making for the dinner,”senior Michelle Ugarte-Nunez said. “My mom always makes the turkey. My brothers normally do actually cooking while I make the macaroni and cheese.”   

Thanksgiving is a traditionally American holiday, but some Highlanders incorporate their family’s culture into their Thanksgiving dinner.

“Since my family is from Peru, we try to blend Peruvian and American Thanksgiving food together,” Ugarte-Nunez said.

However, for some food takes a backseat to another American tradition, football.

“[My family] always gets together and watches all the football games together while eating our meal,” senior Raza Umerani said.

A Thanksgiving tradition that has gotten more popular in recent years is Black Friday shopping. While most stores used to up only on the Friday after thanksgiving, more and more stores are opting to opening early, as early as the afternoon on Thanksgiving. Some Highlanders take advantage of the deals and head to the stores.

“My post-dinner tradition with my brothers is going to Tysons Corner, Walmart, or whichever store and buying as much as we can,” Ugarte-Nunez said. “We generally buy Christmas gifts and stay up ridiculously late playing the latest video games or eating Thanksgiving leftovers. It’s part of the tradition at this point.” 

Everyones Thanksgiving tradition is different, whether it’s eating a ton of food, watching the game, or shooting for deals, a common thread in Thanksgiving traditions is family.

“I think it’s important to have Thanksgiving traditions,” Umerani said. “They giver your family something that unites everyone and allows everyone to have a good time.”