Best Buddies welcomes friendships

Best Buddies’ mission is to make everyone feel welcomed and appreciated in a safe, caring environment

Sydney Langston, Reporter

Best buddies is a inclusive club made for IDD students to enjoy their high school experience by pairing them with general education students . The club meets once a month and they do a variety of activities.

“IDD students make up a very small population of our school and its’ important to get them integrated with everyone else in the school and just for them to feel more comfortable and make more friends throughout the year,”  said junior Maggie Campion, student sponsor of Best Buddies.

The main goal of Best Buddies is to create friendships and to create a safe environment

One way to do this is they host special events and have special themed months. October is a Halloween party, December is a holiday- themed party and February is a Valentine’s Day- themed event.

“This year we are going to try to raise a large donation for the special olympics team,” Campion said.   

Fundraising is an important part of best buddies and they host a variety of different events. One of the events is called Fan Fest and it is for the special olympics basketball team.    

The program is more than fundraising.  It can have a pretty emotional impact on the buddies. The main goal of Best Buddies is to create friendships and to create a safe environment.  

“Best Buddies is very important to me, I didn’t even realize there was anything different about these kids until late in elementary school,” Campion said.