Varsity Lax recap: girls fall behind early vs. Herndon

After starting the postseason strong, McLean meets their match in the regional semi-finals

Nick Monroy, Features Editor

The girls varsity lacrosse team’s season came to an end this Tuesday at home in a 15-9 loss the to Herndon Hornets. If the Highlanders had one this game they would have gained a berth into the VHSL state tournament, but the girls fell behind early and were never able to recover. 

Even with outstanding showings from departing seniors Camille Duffy, Avery Dahl, and Julia Koehl, the Highlanders couldn’t account for the speed and quick transition ability of the Hornets on offense. Being unable to convert on penalty opportunities also cost the Highlanders, who were able to keep it close but never take the lead. It seemed as if every time the Highlanders would gain momentum, the quick passing of the Hornets front line would be able to get a good shot off on and stop any surmounting McLean run. 

“It’s tough when you work so hard and get so close but you don’t get the result you wanted.” said junior midfielder Sarah Rice.

Rice was a staple of the starting lineup for the Highlanders this year, and notes that this team is ready for whats next. “Everyone here is so motivated to succeed. We saw what we were able to do this season, and we know that the only place to go from here is up.” Rice said.

The girls lacrosse team ended the regular season at 9-7, but kept games close throughout their entire campaign, only losing by one to Langley, a perennial powerhouse lacrosse program in VHSL’s 6A region. While the Highlanders were unable to win the District or Regional tournaments, they still made deep runs in both with strong, aggressive play.

Although the Highlanders lost a shot at the state title, it didn’t mean that the student fans were at all disappointed at everything that they were able to  accomplish,”We didn’t end the season the way we would’ve hoped but everyone here is still so proud of all the hard work that the girls have put in this season to get where they are now.” said senior Natalie Cole. “Even when the senior class leaves it’s obvious that this team is going to be even better next year because of what they [established] this season.”

The Highlanders do have much to look forward next season. Young players like Camille Blakemore received extensive playing time in the playoffs and will only continue to grow with more experience. Their senior class next year is the core of the squad as Sarah Rice, Genevieve Deeken, Ella Sangree and more look to finish our their careers with another swing at the state championship tournament.

With nearly a full calendar year to wait, it will be some time before the girls take the field again. But rest assured, it seems with the amount of growth they’ve made this year, and the ensemble of talented players, the Highlanders may just be a dark horse for the state title.