No life in Relay For Life this year

McLean, Langley will not enjoy Relay this year due to difficulties in sponsorship and location

Photo obtained via Creative Commons

Tommy Schilder, Reporter

In recent years, McLean and Langley High School have enjoyed their partnership in celebrating their chapter of Relay For Life. Relay is a world-wide fundraising event in which students raise money for the American Cancer Society. Relay For Life activities at this all-night event include camping in tents and walking laps around a track to honor victims of cancer.

McLean and Langley have enjoyed holding this event at Cooper Middle School over the past few years. This year, however, problems arose with planning the event. There was a late start in planning due to a change in sponsorship. In addition, a few Langley administrators decided to end the school’s connection with Relay. This means that the event will not be held at Cooper Middle School this year.

“We had many issues scheduling a date and securing a location. By mid-March, it became apparent that the best thing to do for our event as a whole was to push it back to next year,” said Piper Gaudet, executive director for McLean.

According to the Saxon Scope, administrators from Langley have revealed that some students at last year’s event made some poor decisions. The difficulty of establishing boundaries at the school and its field made it hard to keep track of everyone as well.

Although many students and community members are disappointed that there is no Relay this year, the prospects of 2019’s Relay are already in good shape.

“We’re still fundraising for the cause, and all of the funds we’ve raised this year will be going toward Relay 2019, which will give a solid base for next year’s event,” Gaudet said.