A chance for the Stanley Cup?

Nick Corvari, Reporter

This season has been a marvelous confidence boost for the Washington Capitals as well as for the fans. Finishing top of the league with 49 wins, the Caps managed to put themselves in a good position for the playoffs. Will they finish out on top, or choke against the Rangers or Penguins like they’ve done in past years?

The Caps clearly made some changes to their program last year. They looked more confident, as a whole, and played smoother together this season. Alex Ovechkin, the team superstar, finished the season with 87 Points (the sum of goals scored and assists) and carried his team to the regular season champion position.

Right now, the Caps are trailing behind the Blue Jackets 0-2 in the series. This has many people worried that the Caps will drop out of yet another playoff bracket, as this seems to be a common occurrence for Washington. “It seems as if the Caps are living up to their history of under performing in the playoffs. If they don’t pull out a victory in the first round, you have to wonder if they’ll renew Trotz’s contract,” said junior Ian Defay.

So the question is, will the Caps be able to do what they have done this season and play aggressively in the playoffs? Will Ovechkin be able play well when it counts the most? “I think it’s 50-50,” said junior Eric Strelser. “If Ovechkin can play at his best, no question they have a shot at the Stanley. It just comes down to Alex and the rest of the team playing at the level they have been all season.” “There is no doubt in my mind that the Caps can win the Championship. The question is whether they can be disciplined enough to stay focused 100% of the time,” said sophomore Chris Vaz.

Image result for Washington Capitals
                     (Obtained Via Creative Commons)