2018 Masters continues to draw big audience

This year’s Masters proved why the Masters is always the best tournament in golf

The+iconic+thirteenth+hole+at+the+Augusta+National+Golf+Course.+Photo+obtained+via+Creative+Commons+

The iconic thirteenth hole at the Augusta National Golf Course. Photo obtained via Creative Commons

Tommy Schilder, Reporter

The Masters is the most prestigious golf tournament in the world. Held every spring at the Augusta National golf course, golf fans and regular citizens alike tune in on Sunday to watch the excitement of this event unfold. This year’s champion was Patrick Reed, and it was his first major championship victory for the 27-year-old American.

This year’s Masters was special in part for the exciting stories surrounding the event. Perhaps the most hyped up story coming in was the fact that Tiger Woods, a 4-time champion at Augusta, was returning to the Masters for the first time since 2015. Though he finished T32, he was able to make the weekend cut, and brought in massive crowds.

Another interesting story coming into the tournament involved Tony Finau and his injured ankle. Finau went viral on social media, after dislocating his ankle in the par 3 contest on Wednesday while celebrating a hole-in-one. However, Finau popped his ankle back into place right after injuring it, and was cleared to play on Thursday for the opening round. Even more impressive, he made the cut and finished T-10.

Defending Masters champion Sergio Garcia also surprised fans and players alike. During the first round, Garcia took a score of 13 (+8) on the 15th hole par 5. He hit five balls into the water, and failed to make the cut due to a disappointing first round.

While the majority of people around the world do not follow golf, the Masters is still able to draw in a wide range of viewers each year, particularly because of the excitement it always brings on Sunday (the final round). A few teachers and students from McLean were able to catch the Masters over the weekend.

“My husband and I tuned in to the Masters over the weekend. I listened to the broadcast in the background while my husband watched on TV. The Masters is always fun to watch,” social studies teacher Rachel Baxter said.

Although he is not a golf fan, senior student Michael May found the final round of the Masters to be quite entertaining as well, as Jordan Spieth nearly shot the lowest round in Masters history on Sunday.

“I was rooting for Jordan Spieth to make a historic comeback and win it, especially because he’s a Texan like I am. Although I wish Spieth could’ve won it, I think Patrick Reed deserved the win,” May said.

McLean history teacher and golf coach Rick Eyerly is a regular follower of golf, and finds time every year to watch the Masters.

“The Masters is such a great tournament because the players in the field have to qualify, or be previous winners,” Eyerly explained. “Also, Augusta National Golf Course is such a beautifully designed course, and it is extremely difficult to play. This is what makes the Masters such a great event to watch.”