Filed under A&E, Reviews, Slider

Review: Drake’s “Scary Hours” EP

The 6 God returns with two introspective bangers

Almost a year after releasing his last project More Life, Canadian artist Drake is back in the spotlight with another 2-song EP entitled Scary Hours. The compact project is jam-packed with clever lyrics and creative musical ideas.

The first track, God’s Plan, is a favorite among McLean students and is currently the #1 trending song on iTunes in the United States. Produced by Drake’s go-to producer Noah “40” Shebib along with producers Cardo, Yung Exclusive, and Boi 1da, God’s Plan is an isolating track in which Drake discusses both his friends and foes in the celebrity world.

Drake dropped his “Scary Hours” EP on Friday, Jan 20. Both songs are currently trending on iTunes’ top charts.

The catchy hook in God’s Plan goes, “Bad things, it’s a lot of bad things that they wishin’ on me”. He could be referencing a variety of fellow artists and celebrities that he has had beef with in the past, including Meek Mill, Joe Budden, Chris Brown, and others.

18-year-old artist Trippie Redd was supposed to be featured on God’s Plan as well, but according to his DJ he was left off of the song because he never finished his verse. Still, the song is a hit, and has already garnered over 10 million plays on Spotify alone.

Upcoming Ohio artist Trippie Redd, who was supposed to be featured on “God’s Plan”.

The EP also has deep political undertones when compared with the context of United States and worldwide news. It was released during the weekend of the government shutdown, and some of the lyrics especially in Diplomatic Immunity discuss Drake’s opinions on the direction that the country and world are moving toward.

He raps, “Violatin’ the Treaty of Versailles” on Diplomatic Immunity, which invokes a sense of impending doom as Germany violating the Treaty of Versailles is what led to World War II.

Drake’s last two hit singles, One Dance and Passionfruit had positive themes, and his last project More Life had a carefree vibe throughout most of the album. This positivity is not reflected in Scary Hours. Drake’s first project of 2018 predicts that this will be a scary year, and these are truly scary hours.