McLean (pep) rallies against Langley

Haru Kato

Tip Off–The students vs. staff basketball game commences in the second pep rally.

Haru Kato, Reporter

On Friday, Jan. 12, the Leadership class hosted its second pep rally of this school year. The pep rally date was an unusual date considering there was no home game for that day. This was because there was no other Friday basketball games other than a boys home game against Yorktown. The students in the leadership class voted to set the date.

“We all thought that an away Langley game with both girls and boys playing at the same place would be a lot more befitting of a pep rally than a home game against Yorktown,” senior class president Marshall Pratt said.

The actual pep rally occurred like all other pep rallies: spirit yell, sports captains and the game. After all of that, the Leadership class took the school by surprise by hosting a five-minute exhibition basketball game between students and staff. The students who played were a team of senior boys who play in a local house league, but the staff who played were people who volunteered.

“It was fun playing against teachers in front of the whole school. The game was actually pretty high scoring, so I think a lot people enjoyed it,” senior player Thub Amdo said.

The exhibition match was a teaser to get students interested in the upcoming McLean staff vs. Langley staff basketball game on Thursday, Jan. 25.

As much as the student and staff game was exciting, the Leadership class planned for one more final

show: the senior boys dance team. This concept of a male dance team at pep rallies have been gone for two full years, and this senior class has brought it back.

“I think the boys did really well considering how little time we had due to winter break and the snow days,” senior coach Dylan Lauffman said.