Seniors paint the track

This new event allows the class of 2018 to be the first to leave their final mark on McLean.

Students gathered to paint all morning.

Rose Harris, Reporter

From 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Oct. 21, seniors were given the chance to leave their mark on the school by painting a 5 ft by 5 ft square of the asphalt surrounding the track and in front of the bleachers.

Members of the student government started and helped to organize this event.

“[It] really stemmed from the fact that allowing students to paint their own parking spots, like at other schools, just isn’t a possibility at McLean, and we wanted to be able to at least give seniors the opportunity to express themselves and leave their mark on McLean. It delivers a sense of pride to students and it provides a connection to the school,” senior class president Marshall Pratt said.

Students painted their squares with McLean cheers, memorable quotes, personal favorites, and other topics that represent senior year.

“It was fun to hang out with my friends and leave our mark as seniors. It was cool to see the different squares that people painted,” said senior Erica Buday said.

One of the main purposes for this activity was to get the seniors excited for senior year. Students were inspired in different ways.

“We chose to incorporate one of our highlander cheers to show our spirit,” senior Mikaley Bolden said.

The newly painted track, in front of the home bleachers,  is now ready to be seen by the spirited fans at this Friday’s homecoming game.