Mark your calendar for bonfire night

McLean’s first bonfire night will be on Oct. 26 behind the softball field

Pragya Dhungana, Reporter

A bonfire night will be held on Thursday, Oct. 26, as a part of homecoming spirit week. It will be the first bonfire night in the history of McLean High School. The bonfire will start at 7 p.m. behind the softball field. The event is free, and all students, parents and teachers are welcome to attend the bonfire night and show their Highlander pride.

The idea of the bonfire was adapted from Herndon High School. Although the idea was brought to attention a few years ago by Principal Ellen Reilly, the leadership members were unable to organize it. However, this year, the leadership members were able to complete all the required documents and implement the idea of the bonfire.

“It is a new tradition we can start here in McLean. I think it is a good way to raise school spirit,”  leadership teacher Taylor Kidd said.

The wood is donated by the school cafeteria and McLean hardware. The total cost for the event is approximately $100. The school must pay a small fee to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department which provides safety to all Highlanders and guests attending the event. The goal of the event is to connect Highlanders and have a good time together.

“I am excited because we have never done bonfire before. It is a good way to show school spirit and you don’t have to be in sports,” senior Anna Sargent said.

Although it has not been forecasted, the leadership members will put tarps over the wood if it rains, making sure the event will be successful. Since it will be a new experience for all the students and staff, it’s predicted students will attend and enjoy the event.

It is still unknown who will be doing the honors of lighting the bonfire. However, Kidd said that if anyone is interested or want to nominate someone to do the honors, the leadership members are open to that.

McLean High School wants to thank all the leadership members and SRO officer Scott Davis for organizing this event. If the bonfire is a success, it will be organized next year as well.  

“I think it is a fun way for the whole school to get together and make memories,” senior Havi Carrillo Klein said.