Can McLean football have a late season turn around?

Khaled Abdelatey speculates that McLean will win games

Khaled Abdelatey played Against the Marshall Statesmen as number 56. Abdleatey has been playing football at McLean since his freshmen year. Photo courtesy of Kent Arnold.

Ben Davis, Reporter

When asked about McLean High school’s football program, most don’t bat an eye to the common replies given by ninth all the way through twelfth graders. Popular phrases include “we suck,” or, “we are going to go 0-10 this year.” But senior offensive tackle Khaled Abdelatey has a different opinion on what the turnout will be in the win and loss columns for the rest of his 2017 High School football career.

“I don’t believe school stereotypes of our football programs anymore. This year we had a good shot at a winning season but for some reason are still hunting for a first win,” Abdelatey said. “We have three games left, and personally I think that two of them are extremely winnable games (Washington and Lee and Langley High School) that could bring some hope to the newer football coaches who have come to the McLean football program (Coaches Scholla, Wicks, Hicks, Noise and Dixon).”

The entire McLean student body was hoping for more numbers in the win column this year when a new coaching staff arrived headed by Coach Scholla. John Scholla is a McLean football alumni who graduated from McLean in 2008 and returned to try to turn the Program around from a 1 win and 9 loss season . Abdelatey also thought at the beginning of the season that many more wins were possible with the new staff and still claims that McLean will have at least two wins in the books by the end of the season. These goals seem low but to the McLean student body they are lofty.

“I honestly think we could double the wins that we had last year even with the little time and few games we have winding down, all that has to be done is work from all sides of the stadium including the fans cheering, the players playing their hardest, and the coaches giving it all they have to get the win. With all of that McLean can have two wins  and finally show what the team worked all of August for. Even though this isn’t how I wanted my senior season to end it would still make me happy if we could double the wins that we had last year.”

Hopefully Abdelatey’s words carry some weight and McLean can secure some wins for not just the school’s spirits but also for the McLean football program’s integrity that remains intact for now. Abdelatey closed by stating, “I believe in McLean’s ability on the field and believe that it is possible for us to achieve those wins we have been looking for.”