Under the sea, Homecoming will be

Leadership starts planning for this years homecoming

The+theme+for+this+years+homecoming+dance.+

The theme for this years homecoming dance.

Jessica Opsahl-Ong, Reporter

Homecoming is an annual event at McLean which draws in many students looking to have fun, making it a quintessential High School event. With October beginning, the planning for homecoming is in full swing for the set date of October 28th. This year, the theme is Under the Sea.

“The leadership class brainstormed a bunch of ideas, then they narrowed it down to 3, they created a pitch for each of the three ideas and presented them to the leadership class. The class then voted, we went to administration with our top picks, and then the students voted a second time on the ones that were approved,” said Karen Mac, a leadership teacher.

This year, about 1,000 students are projected to come and dance the night away in the Gym, which will be transformed into an aquatic adventure. Last year, the theme was chromecoming, and students enjoyed the spaced out school for the dance. While last year we took to the skies, this year is all about the sea.

Students can expect all of the usual festivities McLean offers to hype up the big homecoming dance – like the powder puff game, an all girls football game – or the myriad of lunch challenges and spirit days. And, of course, the homecoming game the night before the dance is one that is expecting a roaring crowd of Highlanders.

All of these activities must be meticulously planned out to ensure homecoming goes off without a hitch. The leadership class, headed by Ms. Mac and Mr. Kidd, is working hard to make this year’s homecoming the best it can be.

The leadership students are broken into committees and each group is responsible for different aspects of Homecoming… Each group then has to figure out what we are doing for each committee,  what we need to order, plan ways to hype the school for the events, and complete all aspects related to their committee.” said Mac.

So this year, get your fancy clothes out and prepare to go under the sea for one magical night.