Reasons not to stress about AP testing

Seth Eshraghi, Business Manager

Nearing the end of the school year, the thought of taking AP tests, only a few weeks away, make their abrupt appearance in the minds of students enrolled in AP courses. The tests are organized through a two week spread: week one, is from May 1-5, and week two is the week immediately after.

No one can be blamed for stressing about these critical tests, as they do determine the outcome of a college credit. But, there are many factors to keep calm about.

First one being that there has been almost a full school year of preparations. Even if one thinks that they are not ready, it is very unlikely that the homework, schoolwork, project and preparations all through out the year can completely let down at this one point. As long as one gives themselves a review session and has participated through out the school year, they most likely ready.

Don’t let the big title of the test intimidate you. It may be a very talked about topic the week before the testing, which exaggerates the difficulty of the test. But in reality, it is an assessment testing the summation of knowledge one has spent a whole course studying. Just the name “AP” strikes fear into many students, but if that is kept out of mind, one can weaken the chances of distracting themselves from performing their best.

Finally, many assignments you have completed and assessments you have taken in course are harder than the test. The AP tests are examining your knowledge and understanding of the material in the course. So, teachers must have given their students work harder than the test to reinforce understanding. For example, it is very likely that a student in an AP class has had at least a few late nights studying or working on an assignment.