Humanitarian aid from DC takes charge in Jordan

At+Camp+Zaatari%2C+only+22%2C500+Syrian+youth+receive+an+education.+

Courtesy of Tina Hakimi

At Camp Za’atari, only 22,500 Syrian youth receive an education.

Imani McCormick, Copy Editor

Two influential individuals from the DC area, Gazelle Hashemian and Forough Yazdani, teamed up with Relief International, a non-political organization, to launch a Syrian refugee relief program called Project Turquoise.

“This project was started after seeing the image of the young Syrian boy being washed up on shore. Mother to mother, human to human, we knew we had no other choice but to take action,” Yazdani said.

There are over one million refugees seeking asylum in Jordan. In November, co-founder Forough Yazdani and volunteer member Tina Hakimi visited Camp Za’atari located seven miles away from the Syrian border.

“Apparently, the camp we visited is considered where the fortunate refugees get displaced,” Yazdani said.

Amenities such as clean water and adequate housing are limited. However, Project Turquoise and other organizations are gathering funds and working to provide health services that can benefit the refugees.

“While life in the camp is not easy, I was impressed by the United Nation’s efforts in conjunction with many NGO’s in bringing some dignity to the lives of the refugees through various resources and services,” Yazdani said.

Though many perceive that hosting donation drives are the best way to aid less fortunate communities, it is difficult to take in physical goods from other countries. The best way to give back to displaced persons is to raise funds so the camps can purchase the items they need to build a better future.

“Together we will make a small difference, but this crisis will take all of humanity to get involved,” Yazdani said.

Camp Za’atari is a home to over 85,000 refugees with 45,000 of them being children. Half of the children have the opportunity to receive a formal education.

“There are generations in that camp that are looking for better future, and all of us can help make it a reality by giving a helping hand,” Hakimi said

Project Turquoise organized a youth committee of students from 16 schools across the DMV whose goal is to empower Syrian women and children.

“There are amazing people already there who are doing [an] extraordinary job to make the refugees lives better. By raising awareness and donating, we can be that helping hand,” Hakimi said.

On Dec. 11, the youth committee hosted a documentary screening of “Salam Neighbor,” at Busboys and Poets in Washington D.C. “Salam Neighbor” is about two filmmakers who explore a Syrian refugee camp.

According to Marjan Ehsassi, the director of the Project Turquoise Youth Committee, all proceeds collected from ticket sales go to Relief International.

Yazdani and Hakimi have emphasized that it takes one donation to make a big difference, and one person to transform a generation.

“This experience confirmed the utmost importance that we all get involved and respond to this crisis. It also was a strong reminder to be grateful for all that we have,” Yazdani said.

To donate and learn more information go to https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/project_turquoise?refcode=riwebsite

Each family initially lives in a tent. Later, they are upgraded to a tent with a corrugated steel roof.

Photos courtesy of Tina Hakimi