Highlanders dig their PAWS into McLean’s animal club

Animal lovers join the People for Animal Welfare Society for service hours, projects and their shared love of furry friends

Students+gather+around+to+pet+a+therapy+dog+during+lunch+by+the+lower+gym+on+Oct.+25.+Therapy+dogs+come+to+McLean+several+times+during+the+school+year.+

(Photo by Emily O'Keefe)

Students gather around to pet a therapy dog during lunch by the lower gym on Oct. 25. Therapy dogs come to McLean several times during the school year.

Emily O’Keefe, Reporter

The People for Animal Welfare Society, PAWS, is an opportunity for students to support animals and let animals bring support to them.

PAWS is responsible for bringing therapy dogs to McLean, which come close to exam times. They come in at least four times a year to comfort and relieve tension of the students during the stressful weeks.

“It’s nice when [the dogs come] on beautiful days, then the courtyards are filled and the dogs are happy to be outside,” said Julie Rosenau, administrative assistant and sponsor of PAWS.

The club meets after school on the last Thursday of each month in room Y204. All students are welcome to join.

“I always promote PAWS,” Rosenau said. “[It is] an easy and fun club to join.”

Social media is the main way PAWS informs students about what’s going on. To learn about and participate in upcoming events, visit their website http://pawsclubs.com/.

“[Club president] Kaylin Harrington is good about sending out communications electronically so if you can’t make it to a meeting but want to be in the know, I think it’s a great way to stay in touch,” Rosenau said.

PAWS brings together students with the common interest of caring for animals. It helps students take their mind off of their studies.

“I think animals are great companions, and they add to our lives in many ways. I think it’s like looking out for fellow human beings and other creatures on earth,” Rosenau said. “We can do things they can’t do.”