McLean evacuated due to bomb threat

What began as a typical Monday morning spiraled into a chaotic event as McLean was evacuated at approximately 8:05 a.m. Students were evacuated to the football field and junior lot.

At 8:30 a.m., a Keep In Touch email was sent to McLean parents notifying them of the threat and cautioning that all students were safe. Students were allowed to leave if a parent was present to pick them up.

We will update this post when more information becomes available. 9:50 Update: Students who walk or drive themselves to school are allowed to leave on their own. Students who use the bus will be bused to Marshall HS where they then can be picked up. 10:00 Update: McLean will be closed for the day. Students are being bussed home instead of to Marshall HS.

11:00 Update: Fairfax County Police Officer Tawny Wright on the bomb threat: “What we have to release is shortly after 8 this morning a few Fairfax County Police and Fire and Rescue responded to McLean about a reported bomb threat. The school administrators made the decision to evacuate the building and students were initially sent to the football field. The officers and school security conducted an initial sweep of the interior of the school. Our EOD which is explosive ordinance disposal unit was called, they are currently on scene preparing for a thorough search. The school has been closed from the day and walking students have been dismissed and the remainder of the students are going to be bused home. And we just have police personnel on scene.” 11:12 Update:

Students waiting in the Junior Lot after the 8:05 evacuation.
Students wait in the Junior Lot after the 8:05 a.m. evacuation.