NFL Playoff Picture Takes Shape With Race Heating Up

afc nfc playoffThis year’s edition of the NFL playoff chase has been exciting as ever as the year winds down to the winter. Here are the teams that are aiming for a chance to achieve the ultimate prize.

Locks for the Playoffs (Playing for first round byes)

AFC

The AFC and NFC’s division leaders are locks for the playoffs, but now they are just fighting for the bye for the first round in the playoffs.

New England Patriots

Strengths: They have quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick, along with tight end Rob Gronkowski on offense and a rising defense that has Super Bowl sensation Malcolm Butler.

Weaknesses: There are a multitude of injured starters on the offense and defense. The injury issues were exposed with the losses to Eagles and Broncos.

Cincinnati Bengals

Strengths: Loaded offense with talent at skill positions. Defense has rebounded with Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins leading the defensive line.

Weaknesses: They have choked in the playoffs for four consecutive years, with criticism surrounding quarterback Andy Dalton and head coach Marvin Lewis. Also, given the injury suffered by Dalton against the Steelers, there are some short term questions about the quarterback position.

Denver Broncos

Strengths: The Broncos have talent at wide receiver with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Also, their defense is outstanding, pacing the league in multiple categories.

Weaknesses: Brock Osweiler is starting for the first time this year with relative inexperience. Also, the running game and offensive line around him are not performing well, and were exposed by the Oakland Raiders.

NFC

Carolina Panthers

Strengths: A great defense is now accompanying quarterback Cam Newton and the Panther’s top ranked running game to thirteen regular season victories.

Weaknesses: Outside of tight end Greg Olsen, there are not that many options in the passing game due to Kelvin Benjamin’s preseason injury.

Arizona Cardinals

Strengths: Quarterback Carson Palmer has returned from injury to lead a star offense, while the secondary of the Cardinals is also a force to be reckoned with.

Weaknesses: The offensive line has struggled to protect Palmer, with two consecutive drives of strip sacks nearly costing this team  a win in Seattle.

Green Bay Packers

Strengths: They have arguably the best quarterback in the NFC with Aaron Rodgers, while the team also has talent on the rest of the offense. Running back Eddie Lacy has redounded, while the defense still puts the offense in good spots.

Weaknesses: Jordy Nelson’s injury has stalled the offense recently. The offensive line hasn’t been protecting Rodgers either, while the defense can’t carry the team.

On the Edge (Trying to stay in the chase)

AFC

Indianapolis Colts

Strengths: The team has young talent, such as wide receivers T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief, as well as some pieces of defense including cornerback Vontae Davis. Despite the horrible record, they are fortunate to be in the AFC East.

Weaknesses: Quarterback Andrew Luck has suffered through injuries, contributing to his poor play. The defense has not improved and the futures of the management and coaching staff are in question.

Kansas City Chiefs

Strengths: The defense has been really stepping up as they have been scoring many points and not allowing many. Alex Smith has been playing some of the best football of his career, as he has been playing very consistently.

Weaknesses: Although the second and third string running backs have performed well,  Jamaal Charles would have been a key contributor to the team. Their wide receivers have been key for short gains, but they haven’t  made any significantly big gains.

New York Jets

Strengths: Great wide receivers headlined by Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, with Chris Ivory leading the running attack. The defense is no slouch either, as Darrelle Revis leads the secondary.

Weaknesses: Ryan Fitzpatrick has performed well, but he has been a journeyman backup for most of his career and his limitations may slow the offense.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Strengths: Wide receiver Antonio Brown is a star, and is surrounded by other great contributors on offense. On defense, this team is now underrated after suffering through several years of poor play.

Weaknesses: Another hit to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s knee and he will be missing more time, a problem given the additional injuries with their backup quarterback situation.

Houston Texans

Strengths: J.J. Watt is leading the way for Defensive Player of the Year, while DeAndre Hopkins is blowing off the top of defenses. The team has young talent from the past several drafts developing at the right time for the playoffs.

Weaknesses: Arian Foster’s absence has negatively affected the team’s running game, which puts more pressure on backups like quarterback Brian Hoyer and the defense that has to stay on the field longer.

NFC

Seattle Seahawks

Strengths: Russell Wilson has been playing the best football of his career with Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett. With a still great defense, this team is primed for a run.

Weaknesses: The injures to Marshawn Lynch and Thomas Rawls put the running game in flux, while the defense this year has struggled against elite passers.

Minnesota Vikings

Strengths: Running back Adrian Peterson has dominated in his year back. The defense has continued to improve under head coach Mike Zimmer.

Weaknesses: Teddy Bridgewater has not stepped up the passing game as efficiently as the team would like. Also, injuries on defense were exposed in a loss to the Seahawks.

NFC Least (East)

One of these NFC East teams will undeservedly make the playoffs. Realistically, a team with a losing record does not belong in the playoffs. If they are capable of losing more games than winning it simply does not make sense.

Washington Redskins

Strengths: Robert Griffin III is lost from memory as Kirk Cousins has put in consistent performances and will improve with the return of DeSean Jackson from injury to an already formidable receiving corps while the defense has stepped up its game compared to the previous two seasons.

Weaknesses: The loss to the Cowboys on Monday night at home leaves the Redskins vulnerable, especially with their issues on the road. The secondary has suffered injuries, while the offensive line hasn’t performed. The Bears win was also down to the wire

Why they got this: Quarterback Kirk Cousins has started to perform well, even though it is late in the season. He has also been getting help from star wide receiver DeSean Jackson. If they can pull out a win on the road against the Eagles in week 16 they should be set for the playoffs.

Philadelphia Eagles

Strengths: The special teams unit on this squad is formidable and can take over games, much like the recent win over the Patriots. The front seven of the defense is particularly nasty to opposing offenses, with Fletcher Cox leading the way.

Weaknesses: The offense, whether with Sam Bradford or Mark Sanchez, has not met Chip Kelly’s expectations due to poor play from a multitude of expensive additions, while the secondary has struggled with the cornerbacks under fire.

Why they got this: Sam Bradford has performed better since the beginning of the season.  Despite the early season turmoil, Chip Kelly’s coaching has prevailed and his recent benching of running back Demarco Murray may have helped the offense.

New York Giants

Strengths: Quarterback Eli Manning and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. form one of the most dominating tandems in the NFL. Defensive End Jason Pierre-Paul has returned and the pass rush has looked better with him on the field.

Weaknesses: The run game has been non-existence, while the defense is still ranked low. Also, wide receiver Victor Cruz won’t return. The Giants coaching staff has a penchant for blowing late game leads, as they already have five.

Why they got this: Eli and Odell are playing like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice back in the 1980s. Also, these New York Giants, lead by Tom Coughlin, have been through adversity before.