McLean yearbooks should include senior quotes

Tanya Ajalli and Sabrein Gharad

Senior headshots of the graduated class of 2014 appear in the yearbook, unaccompanied by senior quotes. (photo by Tanya Ajalli)

Flipping through McLeans beautifully designed yearbook and reliving the memories can bring a smile to any Highlanders face. However, year after year there’s always something missing; Senior quotes.

“[McLean yearbooks] should definitely include senior quotes. They’re a lot of fun and the seniors deserve it.” rising-senior Elise Holliday said.

Senior quotes are the perfect opportunity for senior students to express themselves in print by leaving behind one last quote that means something to them. Whether the quote is sentimental, inspiring, funny, creative, or just strange, senior quotes allow for each graduating individual to have the last word (or sentence) before journeying off into the rest of their lives.

“It would be so cool if seniors, or anyone with a yearbook, could open a McLean yearbook and look back at the ridiculous or inspiring quotes they chose, giving them a rush of bittersweet nostalgia,” Holliday said.

McLean’s yearbook has transformed and advanced since it’s first publication in 1955, when the school was first founded, however it has never included senior quotes. Though countless students have expressed desire to have senior quotes included in McLean’s annual yearbook, others are not too keen on the idea, including yearbook adviser Meghan Percival, who has been teaching at McLean for 17 years.

“It distracts from the yearbook as a whole and can get messy if a students quote is considered offensive, illicit, or obscene,” Percival said. “I’d rather use the space to include great photos and stories of the students.”

100 rising-senior students were asked if they would want senior quotes back in the yearbook not only for their current class but for all the graduating classes to come. 97% of students answered ‘yes’.

“[Senior quotes] are exactly what we’re missing,” said rising-senior Olivia Zhang, “They’re harmless and would be such a cool and interesting addition to the yearbook.”

Senior quotes not only encourage and display individualism, but are simply fun and end each seniors high school career with a quotable bang. Senior quotes should become a requirement for all seniors, with rules in regards to the quote to ensure no quote is inappropriate or offending.

“I think its a great way [for seniors] to end [their] high school experience,” Zhang said.