Senior soccer player Clare Beahn talks about upcoming season

Senior Clare Beahn signs her national letter of intent to play soccer at the University of Pittsburgh on Feb. 6.
Senior Clare Beahn signs her national letter of intent to play soccer at the University of Pittsburgh on Feb. 6. (Photo by Audrey Freeman)

Q. What are your personal goals for the upcoming season?

A. This season I have set numerous goals for myself. One of my main goals is to play a big role in helping the team win games. As a central midfielder, my responsibility is to connect the defense with the offense, shut down the opposing players in the midfield and start counter attacks.

Q. What is your favorite memory from playing soccer?

A. Looking back at my high school career, I would say one of the best memories I have is winning the Liberty District my freshman year. Playing with a majority of upperclassman and winning that Liberty District title was extremely exciting. Beating Stonebridge 1-0 in the final game was a huge deal because they were an extremely talented team that year. The win was a total team effort. It was really rewarding to experience the players pulling together in the second half to keep Stonebridge from scoring and winning the game. That game is definitely one of the highlights of my time playing at McLean.

Q. What made you choose to play soccer at the University of Pittsburgh?

A. I chose to commit to Pitt for soccer for many reasons. Pitt is a Division 1 school in the ACC, one of the most competitive conferences in college sports. I love the camaraderie of the soccer team and the vision that the coaches have for the team. Pitt’s engineering school offers great academic and professional opportunities to me. Combining the feel of the soccer team with the academic environment, I knew that Pitt was the right fit for me.

Q. What are your expectations for the team this season?

A. I want to win the Liberty Conference this year. We haven’t won the district title since my freshman year and to win it as a senior with the team would be fantastic. We have a great group of really talented players this year who bond well on and off the field. I feel that we are completely capable of dominating this season and hopefully we will bring home the title.

Q. What legacy do you hope to leave behind as you begin your final season in a McLean soccer uniform?

A. I hope to leave behind a legacy of hard work and success. Everyone wants their senior year to be fantastic and I think that this season has the potential to be just that. I am very much a part of a team and it takes the effort of the entire team to be successful. I hope to help my team achieve success by supporting them on and off the field. I have loved every minute of my high school soccer career. My teammates make the entire experience and I am extremely excited to see what we can do this season.