Modern recreation of Cinderella stays true to its core

(Photo courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures)

In a live-action recreation of one of Disney’s most beloved animations, the classic tale of Cinderella was told as just that: the classic tale of Cinderella. It was a refreshing surprise to see the film presented as the old-fashioned story, considering the current trend of recreating stories with many twists in the plot.

A prologue is included in the story, featuring young Ella with her two parents. Before Ella’s mother passes away, she makes Ella promise to always live her life according to the mantra to “have courage and be kind” providing valuable insight into Ella’s development as a character.

Although Ella (Lily James) is a passive character, she still proves to play an independent, strong female role, providing a touch of modernity to the film. She lives her life according to her mother’s words to always have courage and kindness. She is unfazed by wealth, as she falls in love with the prince, believing he is an apprentice. Her character also seems to be an animal rights activist, as she tries to help a stag from being hunted.

Years after Ella’s mother’s death, Ella’s father remarries to a wicked widow, Lady Tremain (Cate Blanchett), who moves in to their household with her two obnoxious daughters. When Ella’s father dies on a business trip, Ella is expected to take care of the house and is treated as a servant, rather than a daughter, by her stepmother and stepsisters.

This version of Cinderella included significantly more character development compared to the original story. The Prince (Richard Madden) must make a choice between his father’s wishes, who expects him to marry into a royal family, and his love for Ella, a commoner with little advantages for the prince’s power. The decision was understandably predictable based on the original tale of Cinderella, but still created more complexities within the characters. Additionally, the reasoning for Lady Termain’s, Ella’s stepmother, cruelty is clarified, as she lost two husbands and desired financial stability for her daughters (Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera).

The magical pumpkins, glass slippers, and fairy godmothers all contributed to the old-fashioned, yet enchanting and captivating story of Cinderella, a live-action recreation that all would enjoy.