Langley triumphs: McLean basketball’s worst nightmare

In a hotly contested Friday night of basketball the Langley Saxons swept both McLean’s boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams leaving the Highlanders searching for answers.

In the first game of the day, the Lady Highlanders (1-4) could not match an experienced Saxon squad who continued its undefeated start with a third straight win. Junior guard Jessica Monroe led the Highlanders with 10 points and sophomore Hannah Smith added 7 in the 46-33 loss.
“We are a work in progress and I think if we can make our shots in pressure situations and continue to play tough defense we can definitely beat Langley in January,” Monroe said.
Coach Mike O’Brien’s boys team held a lead 7 point lead going into halftime, but a 19 point fourth quarter by the Saxons was enough to erase the lead and earn Langley a tough 41-38 win. The loss was dropped the Highlanders to 1-3, while the Saxons won their first game having already lost twice on the year. However, O’Brien’s squad will have a chance for redemption when the two teams face again on Jan. 23 at Langley.
“I loved the excitement everyone had before the game and the support we got during the game, I look forward to a chance at beating them in their own gym,” said junior forward Rob Martine, who played an integral role in the Higlanders losing effort.