Teachers modernize classroom methods

Now more than ever, teachers have started using apps, websites and other forms of technology to enrich their learning environments. These tools can be used for anything from providing students with a better understanding or materials learned in class to getting homework reminders. Both students and teachers find these technological aids helpful and actually apply them while studying or teaching.

KAHOOT is an app that has many interactive games that can be played on either an iPhone or a computer. Students can create their own games and share them with the rest of the class.

“This is a way for students to be more engaged in class and help them learn Spanish in a far more entertaining way,” Spanish teacher Adam Stryker said.

Students find innovative applications like KAHOOT fun both in and out of the classroom.

“KAHOOT helps me review class materials. It is like a fun study guide that prepares me for the PALs and the tests,” freshman Monica Kim said.

The Physics Classroom is a website that contains descriptive explanations of physics concepts and short animations.

“My goal is to make sure that every student that ever comes through my physics class understands physics, I try to offer multiple views on the same topic, and the Physics Classroom is a very reliable site for this,” physics teacher Tom Pratuch said.

This website offers helpful tools for both teachers and students.

“I use The Physics Classroom every time I study for tests or do my homework. It explains confusing concepts well and the animations are very helpful.”  junior Angela Tran said.

CrashCourse is a series of YouTube videos by Hank and John Green, covering material from literature to biology. Social studies teacher Anna Dettbarn uses these videos in her classes.

“Although some students may use Crash Course as a way to avoid reading the text, I see the videos as a valuable study aid after having read the textbook and paid attention during class,” Dettbarn said.

Students see John Green’s CrashCourse videos as both entertaining and informative.

“I enjoy watching the CrashCourse videos. They are concise and entertaining. I forget that I’m even learning,” sophomore Fatima Shabaz said.

The Remind app is a simple way to stay informed and get instant updates via text message directly from a teacher. AP Economics teacher Jennifer Johnson uses the app to keep her students up to date.

“I think this tool is so helpful for getting in those last minute reminders to students, whether it’s an update for a test or a homework reminder,” Johnson said.

Students find the Remind app helpful in their everyday lives.

“The Remind App is a really helpful way for my teachers to give me last minute updates before a test or quiz. It’s a cool way to get homework reminders as well,” junior Sara Raymond said.