McLean High School should stick to current schedule

McLean High School's current schedule
McLean High School’s current schedule

Rumors are flying about budget cuts next year but many students remain uninformed about the issues they believe will not affect them. However, one of the main changes that will directly affect each and every Highlander is a schedule change.

“Sticking with the block schedule gives more time for studying and homework for students. We’re already stressed out enough as it is and the last thing we need is less time. Also, it’s more efficient because students can learn more material when classes are longer,” Freshman Srikari Medicheria said.

As the student survey shows each year, students at McLean High School are overwhelmed by extracurriculars and homework. Instead of spacing out assignments, teachers will merely make them due the following day. This takes away students’ time will increasing the work load.

Additionally, tests will have to be taken over a series of classes as opposed to just one. Ultimately, this will lengthen the amount of worry and time students center around one test. Also, this increases the likelihood of having overlapping test days.

“I prefer the current schedule because it easier to manage and gives me more time to learn the material,” junior Matthew Stalzer said.

Overall, students prefer the current schedule. Having every class every day would increase stress and the workload which is exactly the opposite of what McLean High School needs.