Students need more sleep to learn more effectively

School starts too early that students are not getting enough sleep. Students fall asleep in classes.

School starting time always has been an issue. Including me, the majority of the students’ opinion is that 7:20 is too early to start the school. There has been a rumor for a long time that Staff members and public officials of Fairfax County Public Schools decided to start school later in the morning. Unfortunately, it never happened. However, it actually needs to happen.

High school students are busy. Most of the students sleep after 12 am because of homework, after school activities, volunteer works, and so on. Students also need some free time to relax or do something enjoyable. It is painful to wake up around six in the morning having six or less than six hours of sleep. It would be much easier to get up an hour later than now.

“I just need one more hour of sleep. That’s it. I just want that,” sophomore Annie Park said.

Moreover, students would learn better if school begins later because at 7:20 students are generally not fully awake especially in first periods. Quite a few students fall asleep during first periods (or second periods on Silver days). It is definitely not an effective way of learning or teaching. Both students and teachers would be more productive which makes the quality of education better.

Public officials or staff members should seriously consider later school start time. They may do a student or parent survey on this issue. Students need to get more sleep and be able to study with a fresh mind.