NCAA takes three of McLean’s best

James Howard, Gabriel Sutherland and Kaela Mahoney committed to play college sports on Feb. 6.

It is 9 a.m. on Feb. 6 – a seemingly normal Thursday. Yet, if one were to enter the lecture hall of McLean High School, he or she would find an unusual and significant events. Three McLean seniors signed written agreements to play for specific collegiate sports teams that day. At this second round of NCAA signings, seniors Gabriel Sutherland, James Howard and Kaela Mahoney became college athletes.

Sutherland, a football player with a reputation for versatility, signed an agreement to play for Virginia Military Institute. The agreements the students signed binds them to one semester at the relevant colleges and universities. So they must give the team at least that much time.

Howard, another football player, signed to play with William and Mary. Howard is a linebacker.

Dennis Worek, coach of the football team, spoke on the behalf of both James and Gabriel. His statements revealed knowledge and familiarity of both of these players, even as he made the gaffe of referring to “James Sutherland.”

Mahoney signed to play soccer for Siena College. Soccer coach Robert Bouchard spoke on her behalf. His comments hinted at the type of inspiring story found in sports films. Mahoney was not offered a spot on the McLean varsity squad as a freshman, and opted not to play JV in order to learn more in the meantime. Through hard work and tenacity, Mahoney made the varsity squad as a sophomore. She quickly gained a reputation for being able and willing to play in any position, and to give extraordinary effort.

In a moment of humor, Bouchard shared that she once said to him, “Coach I can’t feel my legs, can I take a quick  break?”

Following the ceremony, teachers, students and family members celebrated the athletes’ accomplishments with cake.