‘Her’ impresses audience in futuristic love story

Joaquin Phoenix shines as Theodore Twombly in Her.
Joaquin Phoenix shines as Theodore Twombly in ‘Her.’

Premiering in an era when having wifi connection seems to be as vital as having food or water, the futuristic love story in ‘Her’ seems an apt prediction of what the future may hold. In a world of man and machine relationships, ‘Her’ explores love and relationships from a revolutionary new angle.

Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) is a lonely man, recovering from heartbreak. To further his pain, he works as a writer creating personal love letters for others who struggle to express themselves. Look for a change in his life, he purchases a revolutionary artificial intelligence operating system (OS). The OS can carry out a conversation, feel emotions, and grow just like a person.  He chooses to give the OS a female personality, named Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johanssen). He and Samantha connect instantly. Their relationship grows as they talk well into the night on many occasions. The couple even go on dates, with Samantha seeing her surrondings through a webcame Twombly holds. Like any couple, they have their problems; however, the unique challenges presented when one partner is not even human make the love story unqiue and interesting..

Relationships and love are explored from a totally new angle in the movie. Twombly and Samantha speak on end about Twombly’s failed relationship with his childhood sweetheart. Twombly. A deeper philosophoical question is posed during the climax of the movie, but viewers will have to experience that on their own. (No spoilers)

The absurd plot was only executed through incredible acting and directing. Film director and writer Spike Jonze is the real star of the show. His ability to think of such an original story certainly warrants the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. Making a movie exciting despite so many scenes with Twombly speaking alone into a headset required tremendous talent. Likewise, Phoenix’s recreation of authentic dialogue and human expressions while taking into a headset is laudable.

‘Her’ offers an entertaining love story with a deeper message. Viewers will not be disappointed.