Top 3 Exotic Pets

Top 3 Exotic Pets

Looking for a unique pet that’s not another dog, or cat, or goldfish?

While they certainly are show stopping animals that are out of the norm and stand out, this top three is a selection of exotic, yet easy-to-take-care-of pets from small mammals, to birds, and reptiles. Perfect for beginners or just another addition to a growing family, these three combine the best qualities of a pet including, but not limited to being distinctively unusual, conveniently needing only easy care, and making excellent companions.

However, as it’s extremely easy to give into impulse and bring a pet into a family on the spot, it’s always prudent to do some homework on potential pets and do thorough research to make sure it’s the right choice.

Adorable balls of spines
Adorable balls of spines

1. Hedgehogs

Spiked balls were never cuter, as Hedgehogs are a great selection for starters, having an accommodating lifespan of 5-7 years. Though primarily insectivores, they can be fed fruits and veggies, to eggs, meat, and are commonly fed high-grade cat food. Friendly when properly socialized, Hedgehogs as domesticated pets, are typically opportunistic towards their diet and are curious animals with a peaceful nature and like to explore.

Primarily nocturnal, Hedgehogs may be slightly grumpy when woken up, however personalities vary though shy in general, with some more outgoing and playful than others. An easy pet to take care of, they are inexpensive and easily entertained with items such as a simple running wheel or even just a toilet paper roll. Hedgehogs are clean animals and require baths from time to time that can conveniently be done easily in a sink or tub, as well as making sure their nails are clipped. Overall, as low-maintenance pets, Hedgehogs are quiet and convenient to handle without too many requirements and make for great beginner pets.

ZebraFinch1
Energetic and easy to take care of birds

2. Zebra Finches

Originating from Australia, Zebra Finches are fun and easy pets to have in a family. Tiny but energetic, they are a popular choice and work well for beginners as they are brightly colored and a hardy species. As well as affordable and appealing, Zebra finches also conveniently require minimal time commitment. They enjoy baths from time to time and are also social birds, commonly housed in pairs.

Zebra Finches will thrive on a simple diet of seed mix supplemented with veggies or pellets. Living about 7 years or more, they are also extremely easy to breed and generally, there is little required for health maintenance, making them simple to take care of.

Lively and fun, Zebra Finches brighten up any house by filling it with its light and enthusiastic chirps and are a popular first-bird choice.

Python1
Though not for everyone, Ball Pythons can be a great starter snake.

3. Ball Pythons

Small constricting snakes, Ball Pythons are docile and are a great start as a beginner snake and is a favorite type among fans of reptiles. Among one of the first species of pythons imported for captivity, Ball Pythons gained their easy care reputation for less experienced owners from their gentle nature and easy handling. In terms of their nature, if threatened, they will curl into protective balls hence their name, and this quirk sets it apart from other snakes who generally may go on the attack in self-defense.

However, snakes are tricky pets as master escape artists, as well as requiring commitment on their owner’s part with their lifespans reaching 20 years or more. Also, another caution is the commitment to feeding prey animals and may take up freezer space in storing frozen prey as Ball Pythons are commonly fed mice or rats. Though not an animal for everyone, Ball Pythons are a typical starter pet for those interested in snakes and reptiles on the whole, being clean, relatively inexpensive exotic pets, and have a characteristically gentle temperament.