Idylwood Road – A Misleading Speed Trap

“25 when flashing” implies the speed is not 25 when the sign is not flashing.
"25 when flashing" implies the speed is not 25 when the sign is not flashing.

This world will never be safe so long as wide open, straight roads such as Idylwood are held to the irrational speed of 25 miles per hour. At least, the section that lies between Great Falls Street and Leesburg Pike. This small section of the road is the only part of it where the speed limit drops down to 25 mph – however if someone were to actually drive this speed, cars would tailgate them and dangerously try to pass them. Aside from the unjustifiably low speed limit, which is present on other roads such as Old Chesterbrook, Idylwood holds this sign which states “25 when flashing”. However as even the layman could point out, the regular speed limit for this road is 25 anyways.

Senior Willam Owen  said, “When I first saw the sign for “25 when flashing” I noticed my speed was 40 miles per hour, and it seemed perfectly natural. There were plenty of other cars on the road and that was the regular flow of traffic. I assumed I was okay though because the sign wasn’t flashing.”

What Willam didn’t know, however, was that he could’ve been pulled over for a hefty speeding ticket. And if his Pink Floyd was turned up too high, he easily could’ve gotten lost in the music and  increased his speed to the point where he could be pulled over for reckless driving.

The fact of the matter is that the speed limit for this road is one of the most ignored ones. Cars will get angry at you if you drive the speed limit; the regular flow of traffic is almost always above 35 mph. And this would be fine, if speeding tickets didn’t exist. However all a cop has to do is sit on this road for all of 10 minutes to ruin some poor, unsuspecting soul’s day.