Teen driving seminar sees record-breaking attendance

Before teens in Virginia can get their license, they must first attend along with their parents a 90-minute long seminar on safe teen driving.

Driver’s Education students and their parents filed into the McLean High School cafeteria on the night of Oct. 19 to attend the mandatory safe teen driving seminar led by 10th grade physical education teacher Donald Vivacqua.

In order to receive a driver’s license in the state of Virginia, the student and a parent or guardian must attend one of these 90 minute long presentations. There are several dates throughout the year for students and their parents to attend; September 17, November 19, February 11, April 22, and May 20.

An outstanding 191 students were in attendance and were eager to be educated about safe driving. “The attendance was amazing and much more than expected,” said Vivacqua. Staff members were forced to add 15 more rows of chairs in the back to accomodate the large audience.

The event started at 7 p.m., but students made sure to get there at least 10 minutes early after hearing warning about teachers closing the doors at exactly 7.

Although the event had a record-breaking attendance, students and parents complained about the information that was presented to them.  Most found it repetitive and redundant in the hour and 45 minutes that it lasted.

These feelings were made clear when Viviacqua had to remind the audience several times that cell phone use was not permitted.

“My dad was so bored, he fell asleep three times,” said sophomore Morgan Sadauskis.

Although boring, the presentation went over several topics including parental involvement in teenage driving, law enforcement, distractions teens face while driving and basic driving techniques that may have changed since parents have first learned to drive.

“It felt exactly like one of our Driver’s Ed classes,” said sophomore Jack Holland, “all of the information I already knew.

However, attending the lecture was a necessary step on the way to being able to drive and those who attended were happy to not have to worry about it anymore.

(Photo courtesy of Pocketfinder)

$110
$1000