Students should be able to retrieve electronics from Security themselves

The+usual+phones+you+would+see+down+in+the+security+office.+
The usual phones you would see down in the security office.
The usual phones you would see down in the security office. Security has a sticky note with the individual’s name provided on the phone.

There are probably seven electronics taken from students and brought straight down to security each day, and usually once the students comes down to retrieve their phone, they get told that their parent or guardian has to come and collect their electronics.

I personally haven’t gotten my phone or any electronic device taken to security, but I have had many friends complain and also be frightened about what the outcome from their parents or guardian would be to collect them.

“My parents usually come to pick my phone up and I get it taken away for a while,” sophomore Jhenna Lebruassar said.

I think that if security just let students collect their phones themselves at the end of the school day, there wouldn’t be any trouble with the parents, especially for students who have only had their phone taken away once and sent to security.

“Kids deserve a second chance to learn from their mistakes,” sophomore Nick Wright said.

When security keeps the phones, it is harder for students to get in contact with their family members, when needing to alert them of a sudden change in their school activities. Yes, there are the school phones, but not everyone remembers their mother’s work or cell phone number, and sometimes they don’t include that information on the emergency care form.

If security allows students to retrieve their phones at the end of the school day, there won’t be any conflict between the students and their parents.