Laugh More Stress Less Week calms students before AP Week

Active Minds set up mini sandboxes for students to take compliments from.

Last week from April 29 to May 3, the Active Minds club planned events for lunch and during school to support national Laugh More Stress Less Week. Each day had a different theme that promoted the idea of laughing more and stressing less. The week seemed to capture the attention of students.

“I thought the whole week was really fun. I loved going to lunch and seeing the new activity/theme for the day,” junior Abi Anderson said. If you are interested in joining the club for next year contact the school psychologist Beth Werfel at [email protected] or join the Facebook group: “Laugh More(: Stress Less Club (Active Minds)” For those who missed any of it, here is an overview of what happened.

Monday: “Fuel Your Monday” – The club kicked off their T-shirt sales and provided students with lots of brochures and pamphlets about healthy eating and mental awareness. There was a jar of facts about what stress does to one’s body that students could bring to the stand by the Rock later that day to get a free healthy snack.

emmakpic2
Active Minds had a table set up in the back of the cafeteria all week, with candy, buttons, and pamphlets for students to pick up.

Tuesday: “Active Minds, Active Bodies” – On this day, students could pick up pamphlets about mental awareness and the benefits of exercising. There were also hula hoops and jump ropes in the dance room for everyone to enjoy.

Wednesday: “Wind-down Wednesday” – During the lunches, students could go up to the table and purchase T-shirts, pick up candy, and get pamphlets about how to stress less. There were also four different sandboxes where students could “Fish for Compliments.”

Thursday: “Love Yourself and Others” – On this day, students were able to take sticky notes and write what makes them smile on them, then share their thoughts with the whole school by posting them on a banner.

Friday: “Laugh More, Stress Less Day – The Active Minds club ended the week with a bang; they had joke sheets, T-shirt sales, candy, and bubble wrap everywhere. Students popped away their stress and laughed with friends. An instructor from a new program called Laughter Yoga came to the dance room and taught 20 minute sessions throughout the lunches. Laughter Yoga focuses on the breathing techniques with laughing and the benefits from it.