New 3-D printers are helpful, fun to use

printerrr  The new 3-D printers in some McLean classrooms are proving to be of huge satisfaction for the staff and students. The design and tech classes wanted to be able to create figures that were 3-D and caught the eye to make their work look nicer, and the new printers allow them to do just that.

These newly-improved printers are located in design and tech teacher’s rooms. Teachers Cara Mosley and Kenny George make sure that their students actively use the printers.

“Students have found the printer really useful and we pretty much use it every class. We’ve found ways to use it where we can draw in Inventor, which is one of the main programs we use in the class,” Mosley said.

The process of printing the figures may seem hard at first but students have adapted to the way it works. Students get started by first feeding a roll of plastic through the back of it, and then the printer carefully melts the plastic one layer at a time. Each layer is approximately the thickness of a sheet of paper.

These printers are both efficient and rather fun to use, according to many of Mosley and George’s students. Supplies like these help students develop a wider range of learning in the classroom that involves fun but productive activities.

The 3-D printers were funded by McLean’s administration.

“Ms. Reilly bought the printer for us; she supported it with funding through instructional funds,” Mosley said. “If it wasn’t for her help, we wouldn’t have the money to buy these printers.”

The design and tech teachers are hoping to get a couple more 3-D printers this year, as well as other supplies that the students will enjoy and use to build their knowledge. The staff also benefits from this useful technological device.

“I made a ‘love’ figure right here that I had a great time making with the students,” Mosley said. “I’m definitely glad that the students and I now have this printer.”

View some of the products created by the printer: