Attack on Titan electrifies fans

The second season of the anime launches with dynamic action

Image obtained via a creative commons license

Young In Seo, Managing Editor

Shingeki no Kyojin, more commonly known as Attack on Titan, began its second season with suspense, tension and action. The anime was originally a manga series written and illustrated by Japanese author Hajime Isayama. The 25 episode first season of the anime aired on April 7, 2013 to Sep. 29, 2013. This gruesome anime drew in both anime enthusiasts and first-time anime watchers with its compelling premise and nail-biting action.

Attack on Titan takes place in world where humanity has been driven to near extinction by the existence of giant humanoid creatures known as titans. By the limited knowledged obtained by the humans, titans seem to only exist to eat humans. As the titans threatened to completely rid the earth of human, a hundred years ago, enormous walls were builts to keep the titans out—holding the remaining human population within its confines.

The last episode of the first season seemingly concludes with the capture of the Female Titan who failed to escape by climbing the walls. However, after the ending credits, instead of finishing with a black screen, viewers intrigued by the anime showing the walls again. A small portion of the walls had large cracks in it due to the Female Titan’s iron-hard fingers piercing them, and small pieces of the walls were crumbling off. Viewers were astonished by the reveal of something within the very structure of the wall—a titan’s face.

Four years later, the animators of Attack on Titan aired the first episode of the second season on April 1, 2017. The approximately 24 minute episodes air every Saturday.

The first episode opens with the horrified characters of the anime realizing that there is a titan within the walls. From there, the anime does not fail to keep viewers at the edge of their seats. By every passing minute, the mystery of the titans and the walls deepen as more and more seemingly impossible events occur.

Besides leaving a four year gap from the first season, the second season of the anime does a fine job in maintaining the flow of the story. The anime did not fail to satisfy the viewer’s expectation of wanting to know more about the titan in the wall. Be that as it may, there are many unanswered questions that will be sure to propel viewers to watch the rest of the season with eagerness.

Attack on Titan is by no means an anime meant for everyone. Those sensitive to violence will be left disturbed by the extreme brutality of the Titans.

All in all, the second season of Attack on Titan does not fail to keep the tension and fear of the unknown. The anime will undoubtedly leave viewers eagerly waiting for the next episode, the next, and the next until the conclusion of the season.