Inconsistent classroom temperatures frustrates students

Different halls yield different temperatures

Jiwon Kim

McLean is stubborn to change temperatures despite disgruntled students.

Jiwon Kim, Reporter

The planet has been consistent with its changing of temperature as the seasons go by. McLean High School, however, has not been able to compete with Mother Nature in that regard. Each individual hall seemingly has its own temperature, causing students to prepare accordingly to their schedule.

“Every classroom is really inconsistent,” senior Farah Schneider said, “some classes are freezing and some are humid and gross.”

The temperature of a classroom can affect a student’s performance in class and serve as a source of distraction for others. The inability to concentrate on the material being taught or a test that you are taking may affect chances of getting into a college. The constant putting on and taking off extra outerwear can cause a ruckus, effectively disrupting others’ ability to concentrate.

“When it’s too cold in class, I’m always really annoyed in class and I can’t focus on learning,” Schneider said.

There is opposition, however, to this uproar on the inconsistent school temperature. The stereotypical McLean student is one that is seen as soft and is prone to complaining, and the temperature is just another thing they are complaining about. Embracing uncomfortable can teach you a lot about life as well as yourself.

“Adapt or die,” senior Michael Grady said, “I can get through my day no matter the temperature.”

Of course, a solution for those who are complaining, would not affect those who are not impacted by the inconsistent temperature. For a school with great pride in their academics, McLean students look foolish wearing a jacket in May while subsequently seen carrying the same jacket in the following period.

“It looks awful carrying around a jacket,” Grady said, “that’s a good reason why I am not bothered by the different temperatures at McLean.”